Thailand Part 2 – Bangkok

Day 213: October 11, 2018

We were up early and caught a ride to the airport for our flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. From the Bangkok airport we took a Grab car to our Airbnb. It took a long time to get around the airport area. Our Airbnb was not as clean or as big as the place in Chiang Mai, but we had kind of expected that.

We chilled at the condo for a bit then took a Grab car to Rajadammern Boxing Stadium to see a Muay Thai match. We could have taken transit, but it would have taken three times as long and the cost of a Grab car is not that bad. We had pre-bought third class tickets online. The seats were behind a fence, but we sat in a spot with a clear view. The other side got very crowded where all the betting was happening.

The crowd was relatively quiet until the fourth match which obviously had more money riding on it. I was worried that I would be a bit disgusted by the fighting because posters we had seen showed blood and gore. I didn’t see that at this match. The fighting seemed more strategic than just pummeling each other. Muay Thai uses an eight point system: fists, elbows, knees and shins.

Muay Thai match

After seven fights, we decided to head out because I was getting tired. We walked up the street a bit to get away from the crowd and catch a ride back to our Airbnb.

We ended up walking passed some government buildings including the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives. There were dozens of people camped on the street there with police around.

We walked up further and I went to put a request into Grab. I couldn’t pick a good spot for us to be picked up. I couldn’t remember the name of our condo. I was hot and sweaty and honestly a bit frightened walking this random street in Bangkok. I just became completely overwhelmed. It’s often forgotten how all the little things can just add up. I gave Danny the phone and walked away for a couple of minutes to calm myself down.

Once I had taken a couple of deep breaths, we walked across the street to a lit up temple that Danny wanted to see. A bit further up near a food market, I put in our location and we waited for our Grab. When we got back to the condo I felt so exhausted I just wanted to sleep.

Day 214: October 12, 2018

I woke up early and FaceTimed Jacklyn then called my parents. After Danny called his parents as well.

I booked us a massage up the street at 3:00 pm. It was at a place called Perception where the masseuses are blind. My masseuse did a really good job finding my tight spots.

On the way back to the Airbnb we went to the Unicorn Cafe where everything was unicorn themed. It was painted rainbow colours inside and there were tons of plush unicorns. We shared a unicorn hot chocolate and waffles with ice cream, all rainbow coloured and topped with cones to look like horns. It definitely brought up my mood.

Unicorn Cafe

We walked back to the Airbnb on the narrow streets with barely any sidewalk. We changed into our swimsuits and went down to the outdoor pool. The cool water was refreshing after sweating all day in the humidity. We swam for a bit then returned to our room. Danny made pasta for supper and we watched Frozen. Who doesn’t love happy endings?

Day 214: October 13, 2018

We slept in, had breakfast then took a Grab car to Taling Chan Floating Market which was supposed to be less busy and less touristy than other floating markets. We were dropped off and I was immediately overwhelmed. The heat, the humidity and the noise were all too much.

Taling Chan Floating Market

We bought tickets for a boat ride. It took us to Wat Chao Am where we were able to get out and look around. There were tons of roosters there. Some people bought bread to feed the fish which swarmed and jumped all over each other. It was incredible how many fish there were.

Fish outside Wat Chao Am

We returned to the floating market, found somewhere to sit and ordered some food. People cooked it at the sides of a large dock with short tables in the centre that you sat cross legged in front. We had huge prawns and papaya salad that was crazy spicy.

Prawns and papaya salad

I got a Thai tea to cool down then we got a Grab car to take us to Wat Arun. We were dropped off right as it started raining. It got harder so we stopped walking and sat on a bench under an overhang. A kitty visited with us, but only let us pet him a little bit. The rain got heavier so we went and sat in a window sill where the kitty had moved. He was happy we were there because he hid behind us while we got splashed on. He cuddled right in.

Kitty huddled behind Danny

The rain became a full down pour with thunder and lightning. We were stuck sitting in the window sill for about half an hour thinking it was going to get better. Finally it let up and the sun came out. We entered the temple and it was quite the site. We were able to walk part of the way up.

Wat Arun is a Buddhist temple which was originally built in the 17th century. The prang (towers) are decorated with seashells and porcelain.

Wat Arun

We walked out to the river for a look then decided to get a Grab car back to the Airbnb. There were more temples to see and the palace as well, but I was done with Bangkok.

We stopped at DHL on the way back to see how much it would be to send a package back to Canada, but their prices were insane. We decided to wait and see the cost of sending it by regular mail.

Back in our Airbnb we snacked then I watched Netflix while Danny went for a run. He returned and wanted to book some things, but we hadn’t decided yet if we were going to keep Myanmar or cut it. The political situation is a bit scary and Danny had been saying how we needed more time in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I felt like we hadn’t made a decision on things yet, but Danny was feeling frustrated because he wanted to get things done.

We went for supper perturbed with one another. I’ve been feeling very anxious almost our whole time in Thailand. I think it is a combination of a bunch of different things.

We returned to the Airbnb and I sat on the couch waiting to talk, but Danny asked if I wanted him to leave for a bit so I could talk to my mom. I felt like he was brushing me off and didn’t want to deal with it. He thought I was upset with him and just needed someone to talk to. I went into the bedroom and bawled. I didn’t know what was wrong.

Was the lack of alone time getting to me? I felt like going home, but was that just because I was so uncomfortable? Will it even get better if we go home? I was the one that didn’t want to even think about going home a couple of months ago. I was ready to travel forever. Am I scared of what happens when its over so I just want to be back, make the decisions and at least know what is going to happen, where we will be living and all of that? Can my planning mind not handle that much unknown? Eventually I fell asleep, but it was not very restful.

Day 215: October 14, 2018

I woke up early, had a shower, got breakfast ready and FaceTimed Caitlin. Danny and I finished packing then walked up the street to the post office. I thought it was Monday, but it was Sunday so the post office was still closed. We caught a Grab car to the airport and right inside the door was a post office. We stuck our stuff in a box and it weighed seven pounds. It was mostly my winter clothes and our fancy clothes. We chose to send it the slowest way possible which will take three months, but then it only cost $40 CAD vs. $200 CAD.

We checked in to our flight, dropped our bags and got some sushi for lunch followed by Dairy Queen blizzards. Danny asked if he could use the i-Pad to book things. He explained that he had re-worked the schedule to remove Myanmar which he thought resolved the problem. I said he could have the i-Pad, but not to book things. He got very tense and I could tell he was upset. I kept waiting for him to say something, but instead he took his bag and walked away. Fifteen minutes before boarding Danny returned. He had spoken to his mom who helped him talk it out. He understood that he might have been pushing too hard to book things when I had indicated that I wanted to go home.

We boarded the flight which was only an hour to Kuala Lampur, Malaysia. We went to our gate for our flight to Colombo, Sri Lanka to talk some more, but it was noisy so we had to walk up to a different spot. An airport isn’t the best place to have a serious conversation. We talked some more, but I feel like there’s still more to be said. We start a tour of Sri Lanka tomorrow so I don’t know if we will get more free time to chat and I don’t know what more needs to be said.

We had a long layover in Kuala Lampur then boarded our flight to Colombo. We arrived and went through customs, picked up our bags and found our transfer driver. He took us to our hotel about half an hour away in Negombo. We took our bags to our room and I realized I had forgotten my purse in the car. Luckily, my passport and phone were still in my hand so there was nothing to critical inside. The hotel helped find the company that arranged the car, but they were already closed. We sat by the pool and met some of the people on our tour then went to bed.

We are hoping that the change of pace with a tour will help refresh us after the rough week we’ve had. We hope that Sri Lanka will give us a new perspective on our travels.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s